FLOPS requirements

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Tue Sep 27 17:08:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:55:51AM -0400, Mark Vander Voord wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on measuring FLOPS requirements of an existing
> application?  We are currently using a software floating point library
> and are planning to switch platforms to a micro with hardware floating
> point support.  Before we do this, we would like to have an estimate
> of our application's floating point usage.  Are the libraries to do
> this?  Is there something useful in RTEMS to help with this?

depending on the granularity you need, this might be as simple as

rtems_clock_get(RTEMS_CLOCK_GET_TICKS_SINCE_BOOT, &start);

/* some in-house benchmark goes here, ideally whatever performance
 * critical bit you need.  you can repeat it multiple times if the tick
 * granularity is an issue */

rtems_clock_get(RTEMS_CLOCK_GET_TICKS_SINCE_BOOT, &stop);

time = stop - start;

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com