Help! - Compilation error for mips-rtems tools under Cygwin

Wed Sep 14 14:07:33 UTC 2005

Keith Siders wrote:
> Having downloaded what appears to be the latest tools
> sources for mips-rtems under Cygwin ( binutils 2.15,
> gcc 3.3.3, and newlib 1.13.0 ), binutils built and
> installed fine, but during build of gcc, got an
> assembler error on a -G option as being unrecognized.
> I have included some of the output here with hopefully
> enough to identify where this is happening in the
> makefile. I am attempting to build in accordance with
> the RTEMS doc "Getting Started with RTEMS for C/C++
> Users", Edition ss-20030411, dated 27 January 2003,
> Appendix A, section A.2.4. I have successfully
> completed the steps down to A.2.4.5 "make cross".
> Also, how do I use configure to tell the tools to
> build for big-endian MIPS? This seems to be building
> for a little-endian target, by the mips3/.../el
> directory references. configure --help didn't reveal
> any secrets on this.
>
> Am I even heading down the right road with this??? Or
> should I be trying to use a different set of tools for
> building under Cygwin?

Since you are building the tools yourself, just build the latest source
for the version of RTEMS you are using.  If it is the CVS head, then
just grab the sources used to compile the latest RPMs.

We stopped building Solaris and Cygwin tool for snapshot toolsets.
It just adds too much to the build time.  I suppose Cygwin tools
may be provided again as we get closer to the release point.  I don't
know about Solaris thought.

This problem is very common when building cross compilers.  You
either did not install the cross binutils first OR you did not
put it in your PATH (hopefully at the beginning).  This is even
in the getting started guide.

http://www.rtems.com/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.6.4/share/rtems/html/started/started00051.html