PR649, was Re: PR469 IDE problem, was: Re: Any New 4.6.4 Issues

Angelo Fraietta newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au
Mon Sep 19 22:14:39 UTC 2005

Thomas Doerfler (nt) wrote:
> Hm, Joel, I don't think so. Reasons:
>
> 1. The preprocessor #define I have introduced modifies the content and
> the size of a IDE configuration data structure at compile time. With
> your trick I can only think of a solution that would modify the
> structure at runtime, which is a bit more complicated.
>
> 2. Ralf already objected to the idea to have a different BSP for
> Angelo's PC104 board only because it has a different IDE configuration,
> and I fully agree with him.
I agree - it is not really a different BSP; rather a configuration issue

> 3. Maybe this configuration item will propagate the possibility of
> configure time options a bit more, I think it is quite an elegant way to
> handle options for the RTEMS build process, and at least for me it was new.
>
> I think specifying a special IDE configuration during the "configure"
> run is quite an elegant way to overcome this problem. Each user still
> has the possibilitiy to supply a user-defined "ide_cfg.c" file with a
> special configuration, which is quite similar to your proposal (in this
> case, a BSP library module "ide_cfg.o" will be overridden from a user
> supplied object module), but in most cases the standard ide_cfg.c will do.
>
> What do you (and all the other users) think?

I agree with having it as a configuration option. I am quite happy to
use a different config option set for the PC104 and DIMMPC. In my case,
I am using different BSPs for the boards--pc386dx for DIMMPC and pc586
for PC104.  If someone was using the same BSP, they could change the
--prefix in the config to a different path for each different
configuration. It just means that I have to change my
RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH variable during the build (which I have to do
anyway) to point to the different directory

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303

Home Page

http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/~angelo/

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
CURIOSITY
     Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153)