rtems gen68360 sio [RESOLVED]

Hendrik Schweppe nospam_rtemslist at schweppe.home.cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 5 09:10:30 UTC 2006

Dear RTEMS list,

I am replying to an earlier email [1] from November 2004. The issue
discussed there is resolved and I wanted to clear this up for someone
who experiences the same problem.

The issue was, that when using the second serial interface on a m68k
with bsp gen68360_040 in the interrupt-mode (not polling) the system
would freeze after the open() call.

However, this freeze is nothing critical, but the controlled shutdown
with the function
	rtems_fatal_error_occurred (sc);

that gets called from rtems_semaphore_create() withing semcreate.c
which itself gets called from rtems_termios_open() from termios.c

The problem is that there is not enough memory for the semaphores to be
allocated.

Changing the switch
CONFIGURE_NUMBER_OF_TERMIOS_PORTS
from 1 to 2 will effect
CONFIGURE_TERMIOS_SEMAPHORES and therefore
CONFIGURE_MEMORY_FOR_SEMAPHORES and therefore
CONFIGURE_EXECUTIVE_RAM_SIZE are changed,

so that enough space will be allocated.

When using the second serial console in the POLLING mode, not so many
semaphores are needed and somehow the space seems sufficient (or
uncritical things are overwritten..).

Best regards,
Hendrik & The PEK Team from TU-Berlin

PS: what to learn from this? debugging without output is difficult,
especially if rtems_fatal_error_occurred() only holds the system ;-)

[1] http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2004/november/msg00180.html