MPC5554 Rtems port

John Wood jwood at scisol.com
Tue Aug 15 19:59:03 UTC 2006

Hi Thomas,

I haven't gotten into too much detail regarding the SPE patches.  I got
my compiler sources for the
MPC5554 family from P&E microsystems.  It is pretty much the
powerpc-eabi but with some extensions for supporting the extended
instruction associated with the SPE APU.

I can probably start with the powerpc-eabi target and ignore, for the
moment, the SPE.  I think the biggest change would be to the exception
processing.  This is a complete (for the better) overhaul.  It seems
like yet another addition to powerpc exception processing would be
necessary.  Possibly a booke_exception_processing or something to that
effect.

When I looked at the gnu sources the powerpc-eabispe was a new target.
It only built libraries for the 7400 family.  I added powerpc-rtemsspe.
It was fairly simple and got both binutils and gcc to build without a
problem but I havent completed a simple port close enough to try
building rtems libraries just yet.

I will start working from 4.6.99.x as you recommend.  I think I have
most of the exception stuff figured out and will ignore for the time
being the SPE extensions.

What would be the best version of tools to work with for development so
I am on the same page as everyone.
I can probably patch those when the time comes if the SPE target is not
integrated by then.

My current plan is to add CPU support for the MPC5500 family of
processors and a BSP for the phycore board.  This is pretty much on
hobby time so I don't know how fast it will go.

As for SPE support to the OS, it looks like saving the upper half of the
GPRs and the few new status registers would be simplest but not the most
efficient.

Thanks,
John