Creation of initial task fails with RTEMS_UNSATISFIED

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Aug 24 13:25:03 UTC 2006

Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Chris Johns wrote:
>> You should increase the number of tasks. Driver can contain tasks and
>> this would consume the single task resource you have allocated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Although the problem does no longer show up (with
> CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_TASKS set to 2), I am a bit irritated:
>
> a) I'd expect to see RTEMS_TOO_MANY rather than
>    RTEMS_UNSATISFIED
>
> b) a breakpoint in rtems_task_create() is reached only once.

I suspect that for whatever reason, the configure ran out of
memory for stack space before it ran out of task control blocks.

If you can post a small and complete example, I can probably tell
you precisely what happened.
> Apart from that, I thought that the CONFIGURE_* values
> represent the amount of resources required by the application
> itself, not including any resources needed implicitly by
> RTEMS. For instance, it appears that for each file descriptor,
> a semaphore is created implicitly. This works even if I
> set CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_SEMAPHORES to 0.

The implicit ones are added on for you.  There is no separate
pool of "system" semaphores vs "user" semaphores.  Everything
is user land in RTEMS.