Creation of initial task fails with RTEMS_UNSATISFIED

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Aug 24 13:45:57 UTC 2006

Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> I suspect that for whatever reason, the configure ran out of
>> memory for stack space before it ran out of task control blocks.
>>
>> If you can post a small and complete example, I can probably tell
>> you precisely what happened.
>
> Thank you for your offer. Maybe I'll dig into the problem
> myself later (with a debugger). For the moment, I am happy
> with the solution suggested by Chris.

OK.  But it is generally considered a bug in confdefs.h if you
configured a system correctly and get an error like this.  But
running out of stack space before task control blocks may or may
not indicate a bug.
>> The implicit ones are added on for you.  There is no separate
>> pool of "system" semaphores vs "user" semaphores.
>
> Is this true in general (i.e. not only for semaphores but
> also for tasks, message queues, ...)?
Yes.  If you configure some higher level abstract service, it will
try to reserve enough resources for itself.  File descriptors, Ada
tasks and a few other items implicitly add other resources.  But for
the most part it is just extra semaphores.