network stack sysctl problems.

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Aug 25 13:16:27 UTC 2006

Steven Johnson wrote:
> Please see attached patch against rtems 4.6.99.3.
>
> It appeared to us that when building rtems, the network sysctl's were
> being excluded by either the compiler or linker such that after the
> program was being built they were invisible. (This is with GCC 4.1, and
> latest binutils, etc)
>
> We had to remove the static declarations in __MAKE_SET and SYSCTL_OID,
> to force them to be public, so the compiler/linker wouldn't make
> incorrect assumptions about them being referenced or not.  We noticed
> that in kern_sysctl.c there is an rtems change of

Is it a linker command file problem ?

The __MAKE_SET macro places the function calls into a special section
and you need to tell the linker to include that section. Doing this
causes the linker to include the code the executable.

A patch that changes the static definition does not seem correct.

Thomas's PR1119 is included in CVS.

Regards
Chris