Symbolic, Source-level Debugging with RTEMS-4.6.99.3 on Virtex-4 - RESOLVED

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 26 14:03:57 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

I didn't realize it would be so easy, which is why I posted my email
before even trying it, but I decided to take the plunge and attempt an
install of a newer version of Insight.  All I did was download version
6.5 (latest), untarred it,  configured, built, and installed it.  It
worked first time!

There is one very minor issue; when I start Insight, I get a warning
pop-up window with a GDB message "*no shared* *library support for this
OS / ABI".  I did a Google on this and found several references that
would make obvious sense to more knowledgeable folks.  However, the gist
of it seemed that the warning was previously an error, but GDB was
patched to make it only a warning, because there were frequent cases
where this situation ("no shared library support") was not a problem.
As far as I can tell, the debugger works fine.

For others reference, here is the procedure I followed:

*

   1. Download insight-6.5.tar.bz2.  In the "Getting Started with RTEMS"
      tradition, I put it in an "archive" directory.
   2. Untar it
      tar xjf ../archive/insight-6.5.tar.bz2
   3. Configure it
      mkdir b-insight
      cd b-insight
      ../insight-6.5/configure --target=powerpc-rtems
      --prefix=/usr/rtems/4.6.99.3
      make all
      make install

Now, maybe there is a configure argument that may get rid of the warning
I mentioned above; if so, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy!

On the file naming question:

> Chris Johns wrote:
> You should have a .elf file. This has the debug information and the
one to use.

Don't know why, but I see no .elf files.  I'm like 99% sure that the
hello.exe file is actually an .elf file, but with the .exe extension.  I
don't know how to verify this.  I don't really care what the extension
is, though it would be less confusing, I suppose, for it to be .elf -
assuming it actually is!

Thanks again,
-Bob

P.S. Oh, and I'm sorry I posted so quickly before even trying the
above.  My only defense is that I had absolutely no idea it would be
this easy!