Symbolic, Source-level Debugging with RTEMS-4.6.99.3 on Virtex-4 - RESOLVED

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Dec 26 23:35:23 UTC 2006

Robert S. Grimes wrote:

> I didn't realize it would be so easy, which is why I posted my email
> before even trying it, but I decided to take the plunge and attempt an
> install of a newer version of Insight.  All I did was download version
> 6.5 (latest), untarred it,  configured, built, and installed it.  It
> worked first time!

Is this using Cygwin installed with the devices standard tools, a fresh
Cygwin, or MinGW ?

> There is one very minor issue; when I start Insight, I get a warning
> pop-up window with a GDB message "*no shared* *library support for this
> OS / ABI".  I did a Google on this and found several references that
> would make obvious sense to more knowledgeable folks.  However, the gist
> of it seemed that the warning was previously an error, but GDB was
> patched to make it only a warning, because there were frequent cases
> where this situation ("no shared library support") was not a problem.
> As far as I can tell, the debugger works fine.
>
> For others reference, here is the procedure I followed:
>
> *
>
>    1. Download insight-6.5.tar.bz2.  In the "Getting Started with RTEMS"
>       tradition, I put it in an "archive" directory.
>    2. Untar it
>       tar xjf ../archive/insight-6.5.tar.bz2
>    3. Configure it
>       mkdir b-insight
>       cd b-insight
>       ../insight-6.5/configure --target=powerpc-rtems
>       --prefix=/usr/rtems/4.6.99.3
>       make all
>       make install

Is there a Wiki page for what you have done ?

If not may I suggest you create one and document the set up and things
like this. This is a really interesting device and BSP for RTEMS.

> Now, maybe there is a configure argument that may get rid of the warning
> I mentioned above; if so, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Maybe you should ask on the Insight list.

> Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy!
>
> On the file naming question:
>
>> Chris Johns wrote:
>> You should have a .elf file. This has the debug information and the
> one to use.
>
> Don't know why, but I see no .elf files.  I'm like 99% sure that the
> hello.exe file is actually an .elf file, but with the .exe extension.  I
> don't know how to verify this.  I don't really care what the extension
> is, though it would be less confusing, I suppose, for it to be .elf -
> assuming it actually is!
>
> Thanks again,
> -Bob
>
> P.S. Oh, and I'm sorry I posted so quickly before even trying the
> above.  My only defense is that I had absolutely no idea it would be
> this easy!

No need to say sorry. GDB is one area on Windows that is not as simple
as it should be how-ever it is getting a lot better. I am glad to see
you have a working setup.

Regards
Chris