Tool Installation for 4.7?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Dec 20 22:12:40 UTC 2006

Robert S. Grimes wrote:

> Yes, that is what I tried.  I was intrigued by the claim of increased
> speed.

The compiler does run faster how-ever when using autotools as a build
system the number of shell related calls is the main bottle neck and
over shadows the compiler performance gain. The comment is related to
your application rather than building RTEMS. We hope you build your
application more than you need to build RTEMS.

>  However, when it came time to building RTEMS, it failed on the
> command "sh make all install", claiming (rightfully?) that "make is a
> directory".

Is this with the MSYS shell or Cygwin shell ? The Wiki documents using
the Windows cmd prompt and MSYS sh using the installed batch file. You
cannot have a Cygwin path in the PATH environment variable at the same
time. This is why the installer makes specific batch files for each target.

>  I attempted to specify the full filename for make but got a
> "can't execute binary file" (working uncertain) message.

What path was this ?

>  Anyway, given
> the Xilinx setup, I decided to stick with Cygwin at that point, rather
> than muddle about further...

Do you have the Xilinx Cygwin in a global Windows path ?

Regards
Chris