Symbolic, Source-level Debugging with RTEMS-4.6.99.3 on Virtex-4 - RESOLVED

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 26 23:47:20 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

Chris Johns wrote:
> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>>
>> I didn't realize it would be so easy, which is why I posted my email
>> before even trying it, but I decided to take the plunge and attempt an
>> install of a newer version of Insight.  All I did was download version
>> 6.5 (latest), untarred it,  configured, built, and installed it.  It
>> worked first time!
>
> Is this using Cygwin installed with the devices standard tools, a
> fresh Cygwin, or MinGW ?
Not exactly sure what you mean.  Fortunately, given the fact my computer
is a few weeks old, I do know how to answer your question.  The Cygwin
environment was installed by the Xilinx EDK installation procedure, so
it was "a fresh Cygwin", though not necessarily what you would get if
you went to cygwin.com.  I'm sure that answers your question, right?

> Is there a Wiki page for what you have done ?
Yes, http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/BuildingUnderCygwin covers
this, plus installation of the tools and RTEMS itself.  I'm fairly sure
I documented exactly what I did, except for two exceptions.  The first
is an over-looked (on my part) patch for GDB that doesn't affect me (a
PowerPC user) anyway.  I'm pretty sure what I documented on that patch
is correct, though of course not tested.  I certainly would hope any
errors or "rookie mistakes" on my part would be corrected by the RTEMS
community, and I certainly welcome feedback!

>> Now, maybe there is a configure argument that may get rid of the warning
>> I mentioned above; if so, I would appreciate hearing about it.
>
> Maybe you should ask on the Insight list.
Good idea - if it bugs me enough to warrant it, I certainly will look
into it...

Thanks for the feedback, Chris!
-Bob

P.S.

>> On the file naming question:
Update - the .exe files are indeed PowerPC elf files (Thanks Pete!)