Building the toolchain for powerpc-rtems4.7 on i686-pc-cygwin fails

Andreas Pfeil ap at rsise.anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 11 00:22:17 UTC 2006

Another thing might be to first compile a plain gcc (4.1 or something)
on cygwin, including the rest of the toolchain (binutils, newlib and gdb).
I had trouble compiling gdb along with insight, which is not included in
the vanilla gdb sources. - So this might be one thing to ease things.
Also, the cygwin gcc made trouble with compiling vanilla gdb sources,
but I was able to compile a native gcc. So my suggestion (very crude,
might be overkill) would be:

1. compile binutils for your native platform
2. compile gcc 4.1 from gcc.gnu.org for your platform
3. use (2) to compile binutils for your target platform
4. use (2) to compile a cross gcc for your target platform
5. use (2) to compile a cross gdb for your target platform
6. use (2) to compile gcc-rtems toolchain

I've done everything except step 6 without any problems on my cygwin.

Cheers,
Andreas