RES: Some questions about building release / debug versions of a RTEMS application

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis fabricio at dea.inpe.br
Fri Jan 20 17:49:27 UTC 2006

Ok, I did my homework!

I studied more how the RTEMS executables are created. I'm posting what I
found here to help when someone else have the same doubts. Please correct me
if I'm wrong.

Using a makefile based on the one that comes with hello_world_c, the
executable will be in a "debug version", with all the debug and relocation
symbols. To remove this symbols and create a "release" version, it's
necessary to use bsp-rtems-strip or bsp-rtems-objcopy (see the man pages
about these programs). In my case, a debug version with 1.1mb turned into a
release version with about 125kb.

Concerning my second question, I'm still confused.

If, in the makefile, I inform some managers in "MANAGERS", the only
difference I notice is that the linker DON'T link a "no-manager.rel" file.
For example, if I inform "MANAGERS = sem msg", all no-manager.rel files will
be linked, except no-sem.rel and no-msg.rel.

So, what's the purpose of the MANAGERS in the makefile? Should I use it or
not?
Thanks again,

Fabrício.