printf returning EOF

Keith Robertson kjrobert at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 30 19:30:16 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I'm in the process of porting rtems to a new bsp (gen405 dervied).
However, whilst doing so I've encountered an error I've not seen before.

Essentially printf is returning -1 or EOF from a macro called cantwrite
inside the newlib code.  I'm confident that stdin/out/err streams are
being opened in bsp_postdriver_hook, and set to the proper magic numbers
(0,1,2).  Beyond this, I'm really quite confused.

The only thing that I can think of is that newlib isn't getting
initalised correctly.  However, I don't have enough knowledge of the
libc/rtems integration to understand if this is the case.  Can anybody
point me in the direction of some things to check?

Has anybody encountered this before?  There's a post on the mailing list
from ages ago asking about precisely the same problem.  However,
unfortunately, the poster appeared to resolve the problem with posting
his resolution :(

The post is here for further info:
http://www.rtems.com/rtems/maillistArchives/rtems-users/1999/november/msg00004.html

Very stumped.