Cheapest hardware for Ada development (ARM7TDMI)?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Jul 6 15:26:53 UTC 2006

Andreas Schwarz wrote:

>Joel Sherrill schrieb:
>

>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>

>>>2. Arm support in GNAT is not implemented in GCC.
>>>

>I thought the GCC frontents were independent from the backend?

True but each language frontend pushes at the backend in different ways.
If you watch GCC problem reports, Java, C++ and Ada each trip problems
in the backends which can't happen from C.

Plus Ada has a rather large run-time library which must be targetted to
the CPU family and again able to compile.

>>3.  The last time I checked Ada hello world was about 400K code.  The
>>Ada run-time is large.   So you need to look at larger targets.  I would
>>recommend
>>disconnecting the ARM and Ada requirements if this is a learning project.
>>Use Ada natively on Linux and work through the on-line tutorials.  Use
>>RTEMS
>>on an ARM simulator with an existing BSP.
>>

>I have already written some code in Ada, but it would be a lot more
>interesting if I could use it for a "real" embedded project.
>
>As soon as I have some spare time I'll give GNAT on ARM a try. Should
>this fail, what other hardware can you recommend that is known to work
>with GNAT?

If you can try it on a simulator BSP which you know already works for you
with C applications, then you can focus on the tool site.  Then you can
hopefully
get odd advice off the gcc list.

I know people are using it on SPARC, PowerPC, and i386.  I believe the MIPS
is OK but haven't tried it much.  This is all gcc versino dependent so
things can
change on a daily basis.

--joel