Changing the build tools

Steven Johnson sjohnson at sakuraindustries.com
Fri Mar 10 23:32:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

I think you mis-understand, my problem Isn't with building the tools,
its with building RTEMS, i will elaborate.

I have already properly re-built the toolchains.  I use
--prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6-2 when running ./configure on GCC for example.
All of the tools, Newlib, GCC, GDB and Binutils are installed correctly
in /opt/rtems-4.6-2 and they have been tested and operate correctly from
there.  There was no problem for me doing this, ive built GCC and
friends more times than i care to remember.

My problem relates to the building of RTEMS itself. The ./configure and
make process of RTEMS V4.6.5 looks for its build tools (for whatever
processor it is being built for) in /opt/rtems-4.6/bin by default,
rather than by using the tools it can find on the $PATH, which
./configure and make normally do.  However, I now have new tools in
/opt/rtems-4.6-2 that i would prefer the RTEMS build to look for and
use, rather than the ones at /opt/rtems-4.6 (which I would still like to
keep there so i can switch back and forth between different projects).

I know RTEMS can be built successfully with my new tools, because i
moved /opt/rtems-4.6 away, and made a symbolic link of rtems-4.6 to the
rtems-4.6-2 directory containing my version of the build tools.  This
enabled me to progress and build RTEMS with my new tools, however this
approach is suboptimal, and what i really want to do is something like:

./configure --find-the-build-tools-here=/opt/rtems-4.6-2
or
export FIND_THE_BUILD_TOOLS_HERE=/opt/rtems-4.6-2
make

So what I'm after is a way to over-ride the path the RTEMS ./configure
and make scripts use to actually find the build tools.  If it means I
have to patch one (or more) of the files used to manage the build
process, i can live with that, although the ideal would be an option or
variable set which i can pass on the command line.

Steven