Changing the build tools

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Mar 10 13:35:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 23:20 +1100, Steven Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I build rtems 4.6.5 using the provided configure and make system,
> it automatically finds and uses my tools installed by the standard rpm's
> in /opt/rtems-4.6
>
> I have rebuilt the tools, but I have installed them in /opt/rtems-4.6-2,
> so both can co-exist (tools as shipped, and my custom built ones)
How did you do this?

One proper way is to configure these toolchains with different prefixes
i.e. to pass different to --prefix=PREFIX when building the tools.

In general, copying the tools from one installation prefix to another
doesn't work (More accurately, depends on various details inside of GCC
and binutils).

> Is there anything I can pass to either ./configure or make to force it
> to look for and use the tools in /opt/rtems-4.6-2 rather than the
> default /opt/rtems-4.6.  Ive tried to work it out, but cant see how to
> do it.
Passing different "--prefix=PREFIX" and switching PATHS at run time is
one approach.

Another approach would be to use different --target=CPU-rtemsxxx when
configuring the toolchains. E.g. I had used --target=CPU-rtems for my
local toolchain and --target=CPU-rtems4.6 for a longer time.

Instead of switching $PATH, you'd then configuring rtems for these
different targets would switch between these toolchains.

Yet another approach would be to apply --program-prefix when configuring
the toolchains, however RTEMS doesn't support this approach.

Ralf