SV: RTEMS 4.6.4 fails on Cygwin

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Mar 14 02:39:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 13:25 +1100, Angelo Fraietta wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>In general, you should use the same version native to build a cross.
> >

> > Nonsense - Joel, what makes you say this?
> >
> > To build GCC/c and GCC/c++ cross, all you need is a sufficiently
> > ANSI-compliant C-compiler and a sufficiently POSIX compliant run-time
> > environment.
>
> I found that I needed to first build gcc-3.3.5 and use them to build the
> coross tools - that is, on my Linux system anyway. GCC 4.0 would not
> build the RTEMS tools.
>
> Furthermore, I was unable to make gcc-3.2.3 on my linux machine, which
> is why I used gcc-3.3.5

Both these issues have the same origin: GCC-3.2.x contains coding bugs
which prevents it to build with recent GCC's.
Or to put it conversely: GCC-3.2.x isn't compliant to more recent GCC's
understanding/interpretation of ANSI-C.

I.e. you were not facing any GCC-version related issues (Like you would
be facing if trying to build GCC/Ada), you were facing actual bugs in an
outdated package, which has been discontinued for quite a while.

Ralf