Fwd: [Qemu-devel] qemu 0.8.2 and RTEMS

Lars Munch lars at segv.dk
Tue Nov 14 07:17:52 UTC 2006

Hello Joel

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:12:58PM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> YEAH!!! Some success from home.
>
> qemu -M isapc -net nic,macaddr=00:80:7F:22:61:77 \
>   -net tap,script=/etc/qemu-ifup -m 4 \
>   -boot a \
>   -fda /home/student1/qemu/pc386_fda \
>   -hda fat:/home/student1/qemu/hd -serial stdio
>
> /home/student1/qemu/pc386_fda just auto-boots test.exe from the fat virtual
> directory.
>
> I had to run as root but will try it again as myself in the morning.

To avoid running as root I usually create a persistent tun/tap device
called qemu0 with:

    # configure tun/tap device
    /bin/chgrp users /dev/net/tun
    modprobe tun
    /usr/sbin/tunctl -t qemu0 -u username
    /sbin/ifconfig qemu0 192.168.0.1 up

Then I just add qemu0 to my normal firewall configuration.

Then I use the following net options to qemu, where ifup_preconf.sh is just
an empty script since I use the persistent tun/tap device:

-net nic,macaddr=00:ff:30:4f:ff:00 -net tap,ifname=qemu0,script=ifup_preconf.sh

> I ran the netdemo and httpd demo with minor edits to the httpd demo.
>
> I used the networkconfig.h attached. and hand-edited the ne2000 driver in
> the BSP to default to irq 9 as expected by qemu.

I never had to edit the ne2000 driver to get network going in qemu only the
networkconfig.h file. You do not set the port in networkconfig.h, this
should be 0x300.

Regards
Lars Munch