RTEMS with C++

Chris Welch cwelch at neumes.com
Mon Oct 9 19:51:57 UTC 2006

I've used it heavily specifically for code reuse.

I used RTEMS and C++ for a generator controller.

One example of where I found C++ perfect was for a fault class.  All of the
faults for the system inherit from a common fault object.  Once I had the
basic fault object working, I knew that any problems I was having with a
specific fault was due to specialization.

The basic fault class set up properties such as:

1) Delay before going to monitoring
2) Delay before going active
3) Setting up UI fault signaling
4) Fault reset
5) Alarm reporting

This made adding and maintianing faults in the system trivial.  Very little
code is required for the fault specialization.

This is just one example.  If you code decently, there is very little
overhead involved.  Extremely critical sections can be done in straight C as
you can work back and forth with out any problems.

We have had significantly fewer bugs with this system then the previous
three that were built using straight C.

----
Chris Welch, Neumes Consulting, PC and UNIX Solutions
mailto:cwelch at neumes.com (613)797-7831 FAX:(613)838-5602
http://www.neumes.com