RTEMS 4.7.99.2 Available -- PowerPC/virtex feedback

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Aug 9 20:14:29 UTC 2007

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> In my "working" configuration (i.e. no isysnc or spurious exceptions), I
> can't get my app to start up with 4.7.99.2.
>
> 1. Not germane to this discussion, but Thomas owes us a patch in the
> xiltemac.c driver - candidate patch attached again.

Thomas should review that and commit it as he feels.
> 2. I get an Exception 7 in or just after the call to
> _API_extensions_Run_postdriver() on (or about) line 269 of exinit.c.
> Stepping in, it is in the first (of ?) extension postdriver_hook(), which:
>      2.1 In tasks.c, line 301, calls
> (*_RTEMS_tasks_Initialize_user_tasks_p)();
>      2.2 Now in taskinitusers.c, function
> _RTEMS_tasks_Initialize_user_tasks_body( void ), it dies in the first
> call to rtems_task_create on line 71, giving the exception 7.  The task
> it was trying to create is my main init task.

Exception 7 is a NOFP exception which would indicate the
code is compiled to use the FPU and you don't have one.
Why an FPU instruction would be in use at this point in
RTEMS is beyond me.

Is the linker script and memory map right for your board?
This all seems flakey like something is overwriting something.
> Sorry, I have to quit right now on this.  The user_tasks structure at
> this point looks fine.  Things are getting too detailed for my
> understanding at this point.
>
> Sorry I couldn't be more help...

It is hard to debug these things.