PR1245 device lseek

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 8 03:53:32 UTC 2007

Victor Vengerov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hard disk etc. represented in RTEMS device driver with
> open/close/read/write/control interface. rtems_libio_rw_args_t argument
> is passed to device read/write primitives, which contains the offset
> attribute. offset filled in device_write (deviceio.c) from iop->offset.
>
> May be I've missed something, but it looks for me you just need to
> adjust iop->offset
That's already done in libcsupport/src/lseek.c.
However, the iop->offset adjustment is undone if
iop->handlers->lseek_h()
returns -1.

I can see two valid scenarios:

a) a device for which adjusting iop->offset is all that's needed.
In this case, the lseek_h() method (in the case discussed here
this is 'device_lseek()') should return the current offset (not 0).

b) non-seekable device should return -1 (not 0) and set errno

If we assume that currently only a) is implemented [and we don't want
to break existing code that assumes these semantics] then
either device_lseek() should return the current offset or
lseek.c should be fixed to return the current offset if lseek_h
returns 0.

-- Till