Examples and Network Demo code.

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Dec 7 00:28:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have created a tarball of the examples and network demo code which uses the
autotools. You can find the code here:

http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/

The directory has a readme.txt that describes the required changes to the BSP
configuration file as well as how to build the code. I have provided some
modified configuration files and would welcome more. These will end up in CVS
at some point in the future.

I have also provided an application template. This is a simple program that
you can take and use as the basis of your application build environment. The
examples provides you with automake example Makefiles you can use when
building various types of applications. For example the http example shows how
to tar a directory of files and link it into the executable. It also shows how
to build 3 executables, a GoAhead, Simple HTTP and FTP programs with a single
Makefile.am. The RPC example shows how to generate a header file to use in the
application.

The work is a trial to find a way to migrate RTEMS from the Makefile fragments
currently provided and documented. Autoconf and automake have been selected as
they are used to build RTEMS and so having the examples build the same way
means a common consistent way to build RTEMS. We also provide maintained
autoconf and automake tools in the RTEMS tool sets. We are also looking at
placing 3rd party packages that are difficult to cross-compile with their
standard build system into a similar framework. For example NetSNMP and Python.

The examples should build for rtems-4.8 and rtems-4.9. I understand a small
issue exists with rtems-4.8 which I will resolve soon.

Comment ?

Regards
Chris