GDB Stubs for PowerPC BSP with old-exceptions

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 16 18:42:47 UTC 2007

Till Straumann wrote:
> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> I want to use your gdb stubs and (eventually) cexp, but I'm using a new
>> BSP for the Virtex-4 PowerPC.  This BSP is based on the gen405, which
>> (still) uses the "old exceptions" model.  Sure enough, your agent won't
>> compile for my BSP.  So, what would be involved in making it work with
>> "old exceptions"?  Or should I instead change the BSP to "new
>> exceptions"?
>>

> I think the latter way is the way to go. Hopefully some day
> there will be a single model (again). I'm not sure the 'new'
> model is necessarily better (I'm not familiar with the 'old' one)
> but it is a hassle to have two. I don't have the time to
> implement support for the old model ATM (and I'm not
> eager to maintain two models), sorry.
>
> Regards
> -- Till
Hi Till,

Thanks for the response.  Perhaps you misunderstood me, but I certainly
wasn't expecting you to support an old standard!  I was envisioning me
doing the work, either way...Anyway, Joel has suggested I do the same,
for similar reasons.  Given that I've always felt the new model would be
better, it seems I've enough good reasons for changing what already
works.  Only problem is that I don't have any information about the
differences between old and new.  Do you or anyone else know where I
should look?  Or at the very least, suggest one or two good example
PowerPC BSPs that implement the new exception model?

Thanks!
-Bob