VME board problem

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 19 08:23:51 UTC 2007

A quick look at your

void done(int addr)
{
    unsigned char x;

    do {
        x = *(unsigned char *)(addr+CR10);
    } while(x & 0x8);
}

routine reveals a typical, excuse me, novice error.
Device register pointers must be declared 'volatile'
[here: (volatile unsigned char*)].
Otherwise, the compiler (RTEMS' gcc is probably more
recent than vxworks' and hence optimizes more aggressively)
optimizes your code into

if ( (*(unsigned char*)(addr + CR10)) & 0x8 )
    while (1);

(because it doesn't know that the register contents
can change due to 'external' causes).

IMHO this way of accessing device registers is
generally bad practice:
  - device access is not explicit but implicit
  - not portable (endian issues in case of wider registers,
    execution ordering issues)

In particular, be aware that the powerpc (and other
modern CPUs probably, too) don't necessarily execute
instructions in the order you code them. The powerpc
may reorder instructions if this wouldn't change program
behavior under the assumption that all accesses are
to 'ordinary memory' w/o side effects.

Consider, e.g., a device with two registers: a 'trigger'
register and a 'result' register. Writing something to 'trigger'
causes the device to do something and the result of the operation
can be read from the 'result' register.

int
read_device() {
 *trigger_reg_p = 1;
 return *result_reg_p;
}

Even if the compiler generated instructions exactly in the
specified order, the powerpc may still execute them as

 x = *result_reg_p;
 *trigger_reg_p = 1;
 return x;

(because if '*result_reg_p' and '*trigger_reg_p' were ordinary
variables in memory this reordering wouldn't matter but may
allow for more efficient use of CPU resources.)

A special instruction ('eieio') is required to enforce ordering of
the load with respect to the store operation.

For these reasons, it is strongly recommended to use the
I/O operations defined in libcpu/io.h

HTH
-- Till