GameBoy Advance BSP

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Jul 27 17:06:53 UTC 2007

Steven Johnson wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
>> Once I get that working, I need to check if my kids haven't broken
>> or sold their GBA's now that most of them had DS's.
> The DS contains a full GBA core. So an RTEMS GBA BSP should work on a
> DS in GBA mode. I recommend a flash cart like the CycloDS Mini or
> CycloDS Micro.
>
> See http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl
>
> So even if your kids have gotten rid of their GBA's you can still test
> on a DS.
They still have a GBA around and a DS Lite.  Will the CycloDS work with
a GBA?

I am just not that familiar with the hardware on the DS.  Are you saying
that
you can run the GBA BSP on a DS and that you have done this with the
CycloDS?

I am trying to figure out the least amount of stuff to buy.  This is
just a demo
system for me.

> It would be interesting to see if it runs on a DS in DS mode, or the
> changes that need to be made, because the DS is a multi-processor
> machine yet the architecture of the Arm7 core is very similar to the
> GBA Arm7 processor.  To run code on a DS in DS mode, you would need
> something like a CycloDS Evolution from the above site.  I have all of
> these and they are very easy to use and seem to work well.
I am so confused.  Now I think I understand the DS hardware a bit but
the role of the CycloDS products and which I need is confusing.

I assume since the just use microSD cards with a FAT filesystem, you
can do everything you need to with them under Linux?