Unable to create TX buffer recovery queue

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Jun 8 16:32:14 UTC 2007

Daron Chabot wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 17:24 -0700, Amalaye Oyake wrote:
>
>> Hello Daron,
>>
>> Something fishy is still going on ...
>>
>> Yes I changed MANAGERS=all (not in the stuff I sent)
>> I put an fflush(stdout) after the line that says printf("\nhost?"); and that
>> prompt started showing up ...
>>
>> I enter a host and it says Host information not available. I looked at the
>> network config file and do I need to set the task priority, mbuf and mbuf
>> cluster capacity? They are all set to 0.
>>

> By specifying a network task priority, mbuf, and mbuf cluster size of
> zero you are telling RTEMS to use the default values.
>

>> >From rtems_bsdnet.h:
>>

> struct rtems_bsdnet_config {
> 	/*
> 	 * This entry points to the head of the ifconfig chain.
> 	 */
> 	struct rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig *ifconfig;
>
> 	/*
> 	 * This entry should be rtems_bsdnet_do_bootp if BOOTP
> 	 * is being used to configure the network, and NULL
> 	 * if BOOTP is not being used.
> 	 */
> 	void			(*bootp)(void);
>
> 	/*
> 	 * The remaining items can be initialized to 0, in
> 	 * which case the default value will be used.
> 	 */
> 	rtems_task_priority	network_task_priority;	/* 100		*/
> 	unsigned long		mbuf_bytecount;		/* 64 kbytes	*/
> 	unsigned long		mbuf_cluster_bytecount;	/* 128 kbytes	*/
> 	char			*hostname;		/* BOOTP	*/
> 	char			*domainname;		/* BOOTP	*/
> 	char			*gateway;		/* BOOTP	*/
> 	char			*log_host;		/* BOOTP	*/
> 	char			*name_server[3];	/* BOOTP	*/
> 	char			*ntp_server[3];		/* BOOTP	*/
> };
>
> i.e. those defaults should OK.
>
> Other than your MICROSECONDS_PER_TICK=100 setting is quite fast (you're
> generating clock ticks (interrupts) at 10 kHz), values of 1000 or 10000
> are more typical, I don't really see anything "wrong" with your
> configuration.

I didn't spot this.  That should be higher.  You may be spending longer
taking clock ticks than doing real work.  Lower it to 1000 usecs and
see if it helps any.
> This leads me to suspect that the problem may be external to your RTEMS
> target. What does your network topology look like ? I see that the
> nameserver you've specified is on a different subnet...
>
> Can you use a packet-sniffer like Ethereal (aka WireShark) to observe
> the traffic sent to/from your RTEMS target ?  That tool is invaluable in
> diagnosing network related problems...

This is really the key to solving this.

Hitting return at the "host?" prompt should print out a lot of information
which should have hints.

--joel