MinGW Toolchain

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Nov 22 08:27:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 06:21 +1100, Chris Johns wrote:
> Ray wrote:
> > To install tool-chain in windows,  the install guide in rtems wiki,  although a little old, is all you needed to install then.
>
> Which part of the Wiki are you referring to ?
>
> > You should install MinGW, MSYS,MSYSDTK.  It must be admitted that it is pain to run cygwin/MGW in windows.
>
> We support and promote Linux as the best development platform. We provide
> Windows support because we recognize there are users who need this host
> platform supported. We would love to support MacOS with released binaries but
> we have not been given the chance to do this work.
MacOS tools can only be built natively on MacOS due to MacOS's
licensing. I.e. we won't ever be able to do so using cross-compilers.

> > Just to be care:
> > 1) Some version of cygwin/MinGW have memory leak problems in windows.
>
> Please do not confuse MinGW and MSYS. They are not the same thing. MinGW uses
> the native Windows API. If a leak exists in a MinGW program then is it a bug
> in Windows or the application which in this case is gcc.
If the bug was in GCC it would apply to all host OS and not be limited
to the MinGW toolchains.

However, even if GCC should leak (which is very likely), this should be
of marginal importance, because GCC apps are "one-shot apps", after
running which the OS is supposed to clean up. If they cause permanent
memory leakage, it would mean the runtime system underneath has a
resource management issue and/or doesn't meet GCC's expectations.

Ralf