External RAM filesystem

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Tue Nov 13 16:47:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

yes, it should be possible. There still exists a ram disk driver, which
performs this function, see:

cpukit/libblock/src/ramdisk.c

We used it for our very first tests of the FATFS. If I recall correctly,
these are the steps to work with it:

- define a rtems_ramdisk_config data structure (e.g. in the init module)
with the fixed name "rtems_ramdisk_configuration".

- you can/must define the block size, the number of blocks and location
in this structure

- If you add the RAMDISK_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY to your device driver table,
it will initialize automatically when your system comes up

- Or, you can initialize the ramdisk with "ramdisk_initialize".

- Next, you must format the ramdisk (use msdos_format function in
cpukit/libfs/src/dosfs/msdos_format.c).

- Then you can mount the ramdisk as a (unpartitioned) volume with
msdos_initialze().

I hope I am rather acurate on these steps.

It would be nice if you could give us feedback, when things work.

And it would be even nicer, if you could write a wiki entry on this
under www.rtems.com/wiki

wkr,
Thomas.