External RAM filesystem

Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int
Wed Nov 14 11:02:34 UTC 2007

Hi Thomas,

I managed to configure the RAMDISK, and also accessing it but i got couple
of questions.

        - I didn't use the msdos_initialize function at all and I don't
know what this function does exactly and why it is needed.
        - I had also to initialize the rtems_bdbuf_configuration structure
and the rtems_bdbuf_configuration_size variable, but i don't know what is
this structure/variable is for.
        - I can access to the RAMDISK by means of fopen("/dev/ramdisk0")
for instance. But this allows me to write/read in the RAMDISK area using
the file API. But apparently does not allow me to create files in the
RAMDISK area (which is my intention). Lets say, I want to allocate a
RAMDISK area, mount it, and then access it like a filesystem.

Here is my configuration file:

#ifndef RTEMSCONFIG_H_
#define RTEMSCONFIG_H_

/* configuration information */

rtems_task Init( rtems_task_argument argument);

#define CONFIGURE_TEST_NEEDS_CONSOLE_DRIVER

#define CONFIGURE_RTEMS_INIT_TASKS_TABLE

#define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_TASKS 10
#define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_SEMAPHORES 10
#define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS 4

rtems_bdbuf_config rtems_bdbuf_configuration[] = {
  { 512, 20, (void *) 0 }
};
int rtems_bdbuf_configuration_size = 1;

rtems_ramdisk_config rtems_ramdisk_configuration[] = {
  {
     512, 20, (void *) 0
  }
};

int rtems_ramdisk_configuration_size = 1;

#define CONFIGURE_HAS_OWN_DEVICE_DRIVER_TABLE
rtems_driver_address_table Device_drivers[] = {
  CONSOLE_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY,
  CLOCK_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY,
  RAMDISK_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY
};
#define CONFIGURE_NUMBER_OF_DRIVERS \
  ((sizeof(Device_drivers) / sizeof(rtems_driver_address_table)))
#define CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_DRIVERS 10

#define CONFIGURE_INIT

#include <confdefs.h>

#endif /*RTEMSCONFIG_H_*/

Cheers,

Aitor

-----------------------------
Aitor Viana Sánchez

ESA - European Space Technology Centre (ESTEC)
TEC-EDD - Computer and Data Systems Section
ESA/ESTEC P.O. Box 299 / 2200AG Noordwijk ZH, The Netherlands
Tel (+31) 71 565 6727
Email: aitor.viana.sanchez at esa.int

Thomas Doerfler <Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de>
11/13/2007 05:47 PM

Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int
cc
rtems-users at rtems.org
Subject
Re: External RAM filesystem

Hi,

yes, it should be possible. There still exists a ram disk driver, which
performs this function, see:

cpukit/libblock/src/ramdisk.c

We used it for our very first tests of the FATFS. If I recall correctly,
these are the steps to work with it:

- define a rtems_ramdisk_config data structure (e.g. in the init module)
with the fixed name "rtems_ramdisk_configuration".

- you can/must define the block size, the number of blocks and location
in this structure

- If you add the RAMDISK_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY to your device driver table,
it will initialize automatically when your system comes up

- Or, you can initialize the ramdisk with "ramdisk_initialize".

- Next, you must format the ramdisk (use msdos_format function in
cpukit/libfs/src/dosfs/msdos_format.c).

- Then you can mount the ramdisk as a (unpartitioned) volume with
msdos_initialze().

I hope I am rather acurate on these steps.

It would be nice if you could give us feedback, when things work.

And it would be even nicer, if you could write a wiki entry on this
under www.rtems.com/wiki

wkr,
Thomas.

Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int schrieb:

> Hi all,
>

> is it possible to configure RTEMS somehow to access and external RAM
> memory address where a FAT32 (for instance) file system is placed? Is it
> possible to configure the address and size?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Aitor

embedded brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
Tel. : +49-89-18 90 80 79-2
Fax  : +49-89-18 90 80 79-9
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de