External RAM filesystem

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Fri Nov 16 17:12:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> OK the problem eventually was only half mine ;). I'll try to explain.
>

>         #define _FILESYSTEM_SIZE                        (0x1000000)
>    // 16MB
>         static unsigned int numberOfBlocks = (_FILESYSTEM_SIZE / 512);
>
> The problem is that, with this numberOfBlocks  value, RTEMS is not able
> to mount the filesystem, raising an error. The error shows up when
> msdos_format() is called, returning "not such file or directory". On the
> contrary, if numberOfBlocks = 40 (for instance) everything goes well.
>
> Is there any limitation within RTEMS w.r.t. the size of the filesystem?

Hm, this is strange. We are currently working with Compact Flash cards
with about 2GByte of capacity, and there are no such problems. We are
also formatting them with msdos_format().

There MIGHT be a problem with the ramdisk driver.

Normally you would not want to use a MSDOS-based ramdisk in RTEMS,
because you can also use the "IMFS" (in-memory-file system) which uses
the heap to get the memory it needs.

The ramdisk driver was a test vehicle to implement the DOS filesystem
and, AFAIK, was not/seldomly used with the capacity you mentioned.

Can you see "/dev/ramdisk0" in the device tree of the (in memory) file
system?

wkr,
Thomas.