External RAM filesystem

Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int
Fri Nov 16 17:21:17 UTC 2007

Thomas Doerfler <Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de> wrote on 11/16/2007
06:12:58 PM:

> Hi,

> Aitor.Viana.Sanchez at esa.int schrieb:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > OK the problem eventually was only half mine ;). I'll try to explain.
> >

> >         #define _FILESYSTEM_SIZE                        (0x1000000)
> >    // 16MB
> >         static unsigned int numberOfBlocks = (_FILESYSTEM_SIZE / 512);
> >
> > The problem is that, with this numberOfBlocks  value, RTEMS is not
able
> > to mount the filesystem, raising an error. The error shows up when
> > msdos_format() is called, returning "not such file or directory". On
the
> > contrary, if numberOfBlocks = 40 (for instance) everything goes well.
> >
> > Is there any limitation within RTEMS w.r.t. the size of the
filesystem?

> Hm, this is strange. We are currently working with Compact Flash cards
> with about 2GByte of capacity, and there are no such problems. We are
> also formatting them with msdos_format().

> There MIGHT be a problem with the ramdisk driver.

> Normally you would not want to use a MSDOS-based ramdisk in RTEMS,
> because you can also use the "IMFS" (in-memory-file system) which uses
> the heap to get the memory it needs.

Yes, i would also use the IMFS but the problem is that the heap is
located, in my board, in the static RAM (4 MB size) because is where RTEMS
is placed and I need a quite big filesystem. That's why I am trying to
used the SDRAM which is located from 0x60000000 on.
I do not know whether  it is possible to do another thing to solve that.

> The ramdisk driver was a test vehicle to implement the DOS filesystem
> and, AFAIK, was not/seldomly used with the capacity you mentioned.

> Can you see "/dev/ramdisk0" in the device tree of the (in memory) file
> system?

I think it is not, and that's why the "no such file or directory" is
raised, but anyway, how can a check that out?

regards,

//avs