MinGW Toolchain

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Nov 21 13:36:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 21:10 +0800, Ray wrote:

> 2) MinGW do not recognize the path we used in linux. So the image
> compiled in linux, can not debug with gdb run in MinGW
This would simply qualify as a bug.

My wild guess would be gdb's path handling needs to be hacked to get it
working on MinGW. Cygwin is supposed to handle them transparently.

> 3) Some version of gcc/gdb can not compiled in MinGW, it is better to
> download gcc/gdb with MinGW patch from MinGW official site.
This won't help you much. GDB needs to be compiled per-target and needs
special libs on the host for certain targets.

To my knowledge some of these are these are not available for MinGW but
are for Cygwin. However building Cygwin-hosted gdbs also isn't easy.

> BTW, I think there is yet another choice for windows user. That is
> colinux (sth like vmware), it is faster and stable.
Yes, something like vmware is an alternative... but... what I never
understand: Why do you need Windows at all (I am seriously asking, I
want to hear the real reasons). OK, in a corporite environment there are
sometimes are management decisions on , some users might be using some
toolsets which are not available on linux etc. ...

But RTEMS is a development toolset, so it's supposed to be used in a
development environment. I would assume all such environments have an
"old spare machine" left somewhere in the background, they could use as
RTEMS development machine (Linux is much less resource demanding than
what you might be used to from Win). For home users (Or in flexible
environments), dual boot systems also might be an alternative.

Ralf