MCF5329EVB BSP

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Oct 5 18:33:16 UTC 2007

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Kirspel, Kevin schrieb:
>
>> I have almost completed a port to RTEMS of the MCF5329EVB evaluation
>> board from Freescale.  With this BSP I had to port the YAFFS2 file
>> system to RTEMS.  I would like to submit the BSP and YAFFS2 port to
>> RTEMS.  The YAFFS2 license is GPL.  I don't know if that is OK with
>> RTEMS.  I would like to do some robustness testing on the YAFFS2 port.
>>

> The GPL license has more implications on private code bound to GPLed
> modules, therefore code under the GPL should NOT be added to the RTEMS
> source code tree.

Correct.
> You might want to provide this adapted package at a different (your
> own?) location and make the RTEMS Wiki point to it. But please make it
> clear to anyone that the GPL license terms are to be applied to this
> package.

Is submitting it to aleph one a possibility?  It is there code and their
license FAQ makes it pretty clear that they make their money by
licensing it for use in statically linked proprietary embedded
applications.

Unfortunately this is the type of situation that makes a fair amount of
code inappropriate for inclusion in RTEMS.

--joel