Makefile.inc doesn't define CXX / CXX_FOR_TARGET

Keith Robertson kjrobert at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 18 17:18:49 UTC 2007

Hi.

I'm trying to use, what I believe to be, the recommended method of
compiling third party apps against rtems (in this case norm).  However,
the Makefile.inc in my $RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH doesn't define a CXX.

It has CC, AS, LD, NM, AR, SIZE, and OBJCOPY, should it not also provide
a CXX?  Or am I going about this the wrong way...?  I'd like the
Makefile I submit to norm to be generic, so I believe it is correct that
  the Makefile.inc should provide this information?

Makefile.inc on pc386 from rtems cvs head appended below:
-------------------
#
# BSP specific settings. To be included in application Makefiles
#

RTEMS_BSP = pc386

prefix = /home/keithr/work/volkano/build/Core/rtems48
exec_prefix = /home/keithr/work/volkano/build/Core/rtems48/i386-rtems4.8

CC_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-gcc --pipe
AS_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-as
AR_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-ar
NM_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-nm
LD_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-ld
SIZE_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-size
OBJCOPY_FOR_TARGET = i386-rtems4.8-objcopy

CC= $(CC_FOR_TARGET)
AS= $(AS_FOR_TARGET)
LD= $(LD_FOR_TARGET)
NM= $(NM_FOR_TARGET)
AR= $(AR_FOR_TARGET)
SIZE= $(SIZE_FOR_TARGET)
OBJCOPY= $(OBJCOPY_FOR_TARGET)

export CC
export AS
export LD
export NM
export AR
export SIZE
export OBJCOPY

RTEMS_CUSTOM = $(prefix)/make/custom/$(RTEMS_BSP).cfg
PROJECT_ROOT = $(prefix)
RTEMS_USE_OWN_PDIR = no
RTEMS_HAS_POSIX_API = yes
RTEMS_HAS_ITRON_API = yes
RTEMS_HAS_CPLUSPLUS = yes

export RTEMS_BSP
export RTEMS_CUSTOM
export PROJECT_ROOT

# FIXME: The following shouldn't be here
RTEMS_ROOT = $(PROJECT_ROOT)
export RTEMS_ROOT