NASA Dawn Mission

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Sep 26 15:21:09 UTC 2007

Jiri Gaisler wrote:

> You probably mean the Dawn Framing Camera (FC). It is controlled
> by a LEON2 cpu in a Xilinx FPGA, running RTEMS. Some links
> are here, I am sure can google up some more ...
>
> http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1266578&type=pdf&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618
>

> http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EGU2007/09388/EGU2007-J-09388.pdf
So this camera is an instrument on this mission?

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/

Which launches tomorrow about 7:20am EDT. :-D
We get the Nasa channel on our local cable systems
so I will have to watch for sure if it is running RTEMS.

> Jiri.
>
> PS. An interesting question would be who has the most
> lines of code in the system. The LEON2 cpu is about
> 50,000 lines (of VHDL) - how much is RTEMS ...?   :-)
I don't know how you got that number for the LEON2 but
cpukit has 307K if you wc -l the .c, .h and .inl files.  There
are 92K in  rtems, score, and libcsupport.

But they are using all of the LEON2 VHDL and probably
not running TCP/IP or the POSIX API. It might actually be
close.

--joel