Adding New Hardware Interrupts

Tue Apr 8 14:23:34 UTC 2008

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the PowerPC/Virtex BSP to develop several cooperating
> applications built on (physically) identical processor boards; however,
> the boards are mated to different "analog I/O" boards to support the
> different mix of external actuators and sensors.  So, the FPGA
> configurations are different for each instance, though they share a core
> set of peripherals (e.g. interrupt controller, console I/O, networking,
> two SPI controllers, etc.); each instance adds additional peripherals,
> as needed.
>
> My ideal approach here is to only deal with one BSP for all processors,
> for the obvious reasons, and add support for the additional devices at
> the "application level".  This seems rather straightforward, until the
> issue of interrupts come in.
>
> Is the interrupt manager (i.e. rtems_interrupt_XXX() family of
> functions) the way to go here?  How do I determine the
> rtems_vector_number for the interrupt_catch() function?

That's for simple vectored.  You need to use the rtems_irq
type functions.

I hope Till or Thomas speaks up but in general, you extend
the defines for IRQ and add code to recognize the vector
source and associate it with that number.
> My suspicion is that in "normal" cases, the vector numbers are defined
> by the BSP - is that correct?  But here, I have interrupts that are not
> known to the BSP, so I think I need to use BSP-level interrupt
> facilities, that are not well documented, at least not that I'm aware
> of.  Am I correct in this assumption?  And if so, where do I get more
> information on this level?
>
> As you can see, the configurability of the Virtex really stresses the
> BSP notion - instead of a single, static board, there are a multitude of
> possibilities...

Definitely.  I can see here where the code that vectors the
IRQ must be tailored.  Till has some generic shared IRQ code.
Is this BSP using it yet?  We need to address in a general way.