configure command line in installed directories?

Wed Apr 16 17:10:17 UTC 2008

Kate Feng wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> Yes, the minimum is to have configure command line in installed
>>> directory (e.g. config.log).
>>>
>> You may want to ask upstream automake to implement this, if you consider
>> this useful. I consider this proposal to be utterly silly.
>>

> Perhaps, I did not follow through all the E-mail  you sent on the thread.
> However, currently  config.log file already logged configure command line.
> Thus, it is not a proposal. I thought you tried to delete that command line
>
> from config.log.
>

>>> The configure command lines definitely should be logged.
>>>
>>> Additionally, it would be wonderful to have a log file generated
>>> automatically to keep track of history of all the configure command
>>> lines for
>>>
>>> 1) The name and version of the package
>>> 2) command lines
>>> 3) time and date
>>>
>>> This log file could be generated at the same directory as
>>> where -prefix=directory specifies or two level up from where
>>> the package is built.  Thus, if the build directory is gone,
>>> one have a history of the RTEMS configuration.
>>>
>> Ask your system admin to do, if you think it's useful.
>>
>> None of the 10000's of auto*tools based packages on this planet does so
>> and no distribution of any OS on this planet does so.
>>
>> You next step will be requesting to install ChangeLogs, I suppose?
>> That's what almost all distributions on this planet do - As part of
>> their packaging process.

I guess I never cared to look but I have 643 ChangeLogs on
my Fedora install.  Those are waste of disk space to me as
a user.  If I cared, I would use the version info on the package
to hunt them down.

But only the .spec has the configure command.  And that
is captured in the SRPM which is not a standard part of
autotools land.

I completely agree.  It is not captured as part of any
standard autotools procedure.  It is captured by the
system integrator using a packaging tool tool like
RPM or .deb.  Without them, the information is lost.

Is there anyway to help ensure that an RTEMS system
integrator without RPM or .deb captures this information?

FWiW gdb has info commands to show information
that I would think they would like to have access
to in a gdb binary.  Do a "info set".

As an aside, it doesn't look like we install the license
files with RTEMS. That seems like a bigger issue
than this.
> It was just some thought.  Not a big deal.  I can live without it.
> Actually, I think I made a mistake to make suggetions.

I don't particularly care.  We have survived > 10 years
without it so it isn't going to make the sun shine or anything.
It would just make some types of questions easier.