pthreads and names

Tue Dec 30 16:24:32 UTC 2008

rtwas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using the rtems-shell is pretty handy. Things like "stackuse" and
> "pthread" are pretty handy commands.
> Names do not appear however. "pthread_create()" doesn't (near as I can
> tell) provide a method for
> naming the threads such that when using commands like "stackuse" their
> names appears.
>
> Is there a trick for giving pthreads names in rtems?

It always annoyed me that many POSIX objects do not have names.
The chapter "Object Services" in the User's Guide has a number of
object id and name related services.  One of them is
"rtems_object_set_name".

http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs//doc-current/share/rtems/html/c_user/c_user00491.html

Obviously this is non-portable and beyond POSIX but it is is VERY useful.