flashdisk real-time behavior

Brett Swimley brett.swimley at aedbozeman.com
Tue Feb 5 16:45:18 UTC 2008

Chris Johns wrote:
> Till Straumann wrote:
>
>> With the new flashdisk support there is an opportunity
>> for me to reiterate my rant at libblock/bdbuf.
>>

> Thanks for raising this issue. I was not aware of it.

I have been working on "stress testing" the bdbuf routine using an
sdcard driver.  I occasionally see some lockups.  I had one version that
had applied your patches, Till, to eliminate some race conditions but
abandoned them when I was tracking some other issues.  I will reapply
them to my current version and retest.
>> Could someone familiar with the flashdisk comment, please?
>>

> I think the situation be even longer as segments could be compacted then
> erased and there could be a number of these.
>

>> Anyways, IMHO libblock/bdbuf should be converted to using mutex protection
>> (I have started some work in that direction).
>>

> Great. May I suggest opening a PR and attaching your patch as it is and I will
> take a look and sort through it. I have a need to look at this code in detail
> so this may all tie together.

I agree with the idea of mutex protection.

I tried a mutex approach with the existing bdbuf function and had
limited success.  Perhaps your fresh take on this would help.  Do you
have any sort of version of bdbuf.c that I could drop in and try?

Brett Swimley