rtems gdb stub with virtex issue

Tim timcussins at eml.cc
Tue Feb 19 10:44:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've been testing the ppc405 (virtex) patches for rtems/Till's gdb stub
and everything seems to be going fine.

I'm going to be out of the office from Feb 19th until the end of April
20th (woohoo!) so I'm posting the patches to the list for now:

============
RTEMS patch:
============

rtems-4-8-branch-ppc405_debug_exception.diff

The patch is against 'rtems-4-8-branch' as checked out on 2007-11-28.
We're stuck on the other side of the gettimeofday barrier until we can
upgrade our tools :D The files touched by the patch haven't changed
since then, so the patch should apply fine.

1. The patch adds a support for a further ppc405 exception, vector at
0x2000. I've called it 0x15 (rather than 0x20) so it can be included in
the critical vectors mask.

2. The ITLB and DTLB vectors were incorrect for ppc405 - now fixed.

3. The exception prologue needed a couple of lines to remap the debug
exception address to the appropriate exception number. Not rapt about
adding custom code into the prologue, so any other ideas would be welcome.

I've had a look at the cvs tip - looks like significant refactoring has
gone on in this dept. I can look at including the debug exception there
when I get home (late april!)

===============
GDB Stub patch:
===============

RTEMS_gdb_stub_1_4-ppc405-support.diff

The patch is against Till's latest gdb stub (version 1.4) from
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~strauman/rtems/gdb/index.html

The file 'rtems-gdb-stub-ppc-shared.c' is now sensitive to the
definition of 'ppc405'.

1. FP register support is swithed according to CPU_HARDWARE_FP &
CPU_SOFTWARE_FP
2. Single-stepping uses a different mechanism (using ppc405 debug vector)

It's not pretty, but if Till's stub on ppc405/virtex is what you're
after, then these patches will get you that far.

Comments and critism (constructive and/or hilarious) welcome. Until
thursday. :D

Later,
Tim