RTEMS on Nintendo DS port

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jan 16 01:25:25 UTC 2008

Matthieu Bucchianeri wrote:

> We recently had a project in the french school EPITA
> (http://www.epita.fr) consisting in porting RTEMS onto the Nintendo
> DS.

This sounds like a fun project. Well done on getting this going.

I know nothing about the Nintendo DS so will any version be ok or do you need
a specific model ?

Do you need anything else to use RTEMS on the Nintendo DS ?

> In group of 4 students, we made a BSP for the NDS. As the port is
> currently running (but still under test), we were wondering if such
> port could be integrated to the RTEMS repository.

Yes we are normally happy to add support for this type of device if the code
has a suitable license.

> Our BSP supports:
>
> - console
> - clock
> - RTC
> - framebuffer (we can run MicroWindows/Nano-X)
> - touch screen (as the mouse)
> - character recognition (using the touch screen to write characters)
> - sound
>
> The wifi driver is finished and under debug, it may work soon.

This is a great set of drivers. Any pics of MicroWindows online ?

> We based our BSP on the libnds and dsWifi (http://www.devkitpro.org).
> Our code is only 2 000 lines long (sloccount) as we heavily use these
> libraries.

I have looked over the http://www.devkitpro.org and cannot see any license.

What is the license of this code ?

Is this code also part of the RTEMS code for the BSP or do you link these
libraries ?

> We can run applications in emulator and on a real DS. We do not pass
> the entire testsuite, but it is a matter of time.
>
> Are RTEMS developers & maintainers interested in this BSP? We would be
> very happy to integrate our project to the official branch!

I am and I am sure Joel will be. My kids would love it if I had to buy a DS. :-)

Regards
Chris