pc686 bsp for executables bigger than 1.44Mbytes

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jul 30 22:03:32 UTC 2008

John Pickwick wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> as a prototyping platform I use a simple celeron pc with the pc686 bsp (with
> rtems4.8.0) but my executable is getting bigger and bigger :=( The pc is
> under windows and I used to boot from a floppy disk using the grub package
> but I can no longer do it since my executable reached the 1.44MB limit ...
> what are the other simple solutions to run my application (I don't have any
> filesystem installed in my application) ?

I am using an old PC and the pc386 BSP to test file system code. My solution
is to use etherboot. I copied it onto a floppy disk and boot from it.
Etherboot performs a DHCP request which has the file to download in it. The
etherboot image can download and boot the RTEMS ELF file.

The etherboot image I use can be found here:

http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/pc386/etherboot/

Regards
Chris