pc686 bsp for executables bigger than 1.44Mbytes

Angelo Fraietta newsgroups at smartcontroller.com.au
Wed Jul 30 22:50:53 UTC 2008

John Pickwick wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> as a prototyping platform I use a simple celeron pc with the pc686 bsp (with
> rtems4.8.0) but my executable is getting bigger and bigger :=( The pc is
> under windows and I used to boot from a floppy disk using the grub package
> but I can no longer do it since my executable reached the 1.44MB limit ...
> what are the other simple solutions to run my application (I don't have any
> filesystem installed in my application) ?

I had a similar problem when I developped my Smart Controller. I found
that the Standard STL had exception handling, which bloated my exe size.
I made a subset of what I required, removed any exception handling (that
I was aware of) and it reduce my exe size substantially.

Mind you, that was seven years ago and things may be different with the
compilers and libraries now.

Let us know if it works for you.

--
Dr Angelo Fraietta
A.Eng, A.Mus.A, BA(Hons), Ph.D.

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303

Home Page

http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/

There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
CURIOSITY
     Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153)