rtems-users Digest, Vol 18, Issue 16

Matthieu Bucchianeri mbucchia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 22:16:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM,  <rtems-users-request at rtems.org> wrote:
>  >> + Offer this library as a pre-built RPM.  This is the cleanest
>  >>   solution for GNU/Linux users and is in keeping with the existing
>  >>   infrastructure.  It treats it as a 3rd party package that we
>  >>   provide pre-compiled and version synchronization is under our
>  >>   control.
>  >>
>  > This probably *is* the cleanest solution.  I will volunteer to package
>  > up the required library; this probably only involves putting together an
>  > RPM .spec file and submitting the package to a repository.
>  >
>  Ralf Corsepius hasn't piped up but it would be better if
>  it ended up in the RTEMS repository so it could match the
>  BSP.  Plus Matthieu did have some patches.

This is the simplest solution and given the license of
libnds/libfat/dswifi -- ie: no licence -- it could work. When there is
a major bug fix or feature improvement in one of these libs, we will
need to update the repository.

For sure we can imagine the next version of libnds/libfat/dswifi won't
match the BSP, so this solution also solves this problem.

About the patches, I think we can avoid them by doing tricky things in
the autotools. For example the main problem I have with libnds is that
the assembly file are ending with .s while they are not preprocessed
(should be .S).

>  Thanks for offering. Hopefully Ralf won't see any issues
>  with offering this as an RPM.

Even if we decide to provide an RPM, we'll have to change the
autotools. An RPM will install the libnds/libfat/dswifi in a
privileged directory (like /opt/rtems-4.9/src ...) and it won't be
writable (the patch can't be applied as-is).

>  > -- D.
>  >

>  --
>  Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research & Development
>  joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com        On-Line Applications Research
>  Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS  Huntsville AL 35805
>    Support Available             (256) 722-9985

Matthieu ``buckman'' Bucchianeri
VMkernel Networking Team intern
http://www.VMware.com