BSP Makefile.am's

Tue Mar 25 20:54:51 UTC 2008

Hi

[Sorry for the resend.  For some reason, the first
copy bounced to the mailing list.]

I have had it on my wish list a long time to
play with eliminating the .rel's in the individual
BSP Makefile.am's.  They clump code together and
often lead to unintentional executable image bloat.

I took a stack at psim and pc386.  psim went well
and shrunk by 1/3.  It seemed to work fine.

The pc386 on the other hand worked ok for
the pieces of the BSP which were non-networked
portions.  I don't know how to set the cppflags
for specific files and this is needed for the
network drivers.

I have attached where I think I would like this
to be but doesn't work like I think for the pc386.

I went on and put the NIC drivers back to using
.rel's and finished compiling. This made a 6-8%
difference in the size of minimum.exe and hello.exe
on the pc386.  Since this is a largely mechanical
change which improves executable size while
shrinking Makefiles, it seems like a good thing
to do if we can work out the detail on adding
to the CPPFLAGS for NIC drivers.