Building 4.8 on OS X

Nigel Spon nigel at adi.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 23:27:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm working on getting rtems 4.8.0 built for PowerPC under Mac OS
10.5, and making reasonable progress. I hope to make it work with
Apples XCode IDE in due course, but at the moment I'm just trying to
get the build process up by following the "Getting Started with RTEMS"
documentation.

I have (apparently) successfully built the cross-compiler and
associated tools, and have set up the path to their /bin subdirectory.
This now has a bunch of tools in it all prefixed with powerpc-
rtems4.8. I have verified the toolset operation on a small file: I can
do:

powerpc-rtems4.8-gcc -v -S f.c

and get appropriate responses. However I can't say:

powerpc-rtems-gcc -v -S f.c

which seems to make sense, because none of the tools are called that.

The trouble is that if I try to build RTEMS it fails with:

checking for powerpc-rtems-gcc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

... which seems to indicate it is looking for powerpc-rtems-gcc, not
powerpc-rtems4.8-gcc. What is the right way to fix this? Have I missed
creating some link files somewhere, or do my tools need to be renamed
with more generic names?

Thanks for any assistance,

---
"Where are those who in times past have opposed the Group of Seventeen?"

Michael Hamel
ADInstruments Ltd, Dunedin, NZ