[GSOC] Interested in write BSP for Qemu ARM target

Mon Mar 31 18:54:12 UTC 2008

F wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm interested in write BSP for Qemu ARM target. Is the
> combination still available?

There is a proposal submitted for the Qemu ARM PXA target
which looks to be the most capable ARM simulated target.
My thought would be to look at qemu's list of non-PC targets:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC58

Then decide which look interesting to you and have
"high functionality" in qemu -- networking, graphics, etc.
Then lets see where RTEMS testing on simulators has
gaps.

+ some targets have no simulator support in RTEMS
that is useful for automated testing
  - Coldfire and SuperH come to mind
+ some targets have limited capability simulator
target with say no networking or graphics
  - MIPS, PowerPC

The Coldfire is an important target in the RTEMS world
and we do not have simulator support for it.  We have
a Board Support Package for the real hardware it claims
to simulate so this should be a relatively easy task of
getting the RTEMS image in a format qemu will accept.

I would be prone to combine this with a more involved
task like a BSP for the PowerPC or MIPS qemu configuration.
The PowerPC is interesting because it is supposed to be
a PowerMAC and those are starting to show up cheap. :)

>     I haven't used RTEMS before. But I've used Linux(mainly Gentoo)
> for more than 2 years, and experiment with CLFS and embedded systems
> in spare time. I've implemented an IP phone using uCLinux(on Nios II)
> on Altera Cyclone FPGA. For ARM, just read some docs before, so I
> don't know exactly how diffcult this project will be. But there's a
> s3c2440 board I can use.

All the CPUs start to look the same after a while.  Some
are just weirder and more painful than others. :-D
>      I've just cvs-ed the code, navigated to the online doc page and
> want to have a try. But I also want to hear some advice with big
> thanks.

Focus on running on a simulator first.  It is easier.
>     By the way, I was just busy writing my proposal, and suddenly find
> the deadline is extended. I feel so happy.

:-D