Stack Checker in rtems-4.8.0 - is it broken?

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 5 02:04:33 UTC 2008

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Robert S. Grimes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does the stack checker still work?  My app using powerpc/virtex BSP
>> seems to fail on startup when the stack checker task is created in
>> taskinitusers.c/_RTEMS_tasks_Initialize_user_tasks_body().  I get an
>> exception 7 - here is the dump:
>>

> There is no stack checker task.  It is a user extension.
That makes infinitely more sense! ;-)  I was misled by the context -
silly me.

> It works in 4.8 as far as the test program stackchk.exe goes.
I figured you'd say that...

> You are on the "BSP initialization stack" at this point in the program
> initialization.  I suspect you have blown your initialization stack
> or the RTEMS workspace and the BSP initialization stack overlap.
> Thus when the stack checker writes the pattern for the first
> created task, it destroys the stack you are running on.
>
> Does this make sense?
Sure, if that is indeed what is going on.  I'm not sure where to look on
this, and I won't be able to check on it until Friday (FWIW - the only
truly frustrating thing about my project is I only work 18-20 hours
during two days a week, and I always seem to be finding problems at the
end of one day, and I can't get back to it until several days later!)
Anyway, I'll look into it then, and report back - until then, assume it
is in my BSP...

Thanks!
-Bob